HIV and AIDS
AIDS Leadership Coalition (ALC)
The AIDS Leadership Coalition is an advisory group primarily composed of members of the Federation of Protestant Welfare Agencies to take collective action through partnership with community bodies in identifying and shaping humane and just public health policies for New York communities affected by HIV and AIDS.
AIDS Leadership Coalition (ALC)Catalyst Team
The ALC Catalyst Team provides overall guidance and leadership for the ALC’s work including the development of the ALC mission and strategic planning.
ALC Catalyst Team Members:
- AIDS Leadership Coalition Meeting. The AIDS Leadership Coalition is an advisory group primarily composed of FPWA members which works to identify and shape humane and just public health policies for New York communities affected by HIV and AIDS. The meeting dates vary but are often held the last Thursdays of the month at 9:30 am. To confirm the date, for more information or to RSVP contact Esther Lok, phone (212) 801-1312
- FPWA Action Center. Our ability to create change that benefits the families of our city depends greatly on your voice! FPWA needs your help to ensure that the budget items are supported and legislation enacted so that those we serve can receive much-needed support in building a better life.
- FPWA NYS and NYC Legislative Agendas. FPWA's substantial team of expert policy analysts combine policy analyses along with input from member agency executives and staff, our Board of Directors, and coalition members to create an advocacy agenda that reflects the needs of our member agencies and the New Yorkers they serve.
- HIV/AIDS reports
- FPWA's Advocacy Action Toolkit pdf (163892 bytes)
- HASA for All Campaign
- HIV/AIDS Newswire. This newsletter written by FPWA’s HIV/AIDS Senior Policy Analyst promotes the power of public information by educating our member agencies and colleagues regarding important research, events, pressing policy discussion, and activities to promote responsible HIV and AIDS public health policy.
How to Get Involved
To get on the mailing list to receive a copy of the "HIV/AIDS Newswire," a periodic newsletter that includes updates on key developments in HIV/AIDS and related issues, contact Esther Lok, ph. (212)801-1312, FPWA's Senior Policy Analyst for HIV/AIDS.
Join the ALC Email List
To get on the ALC email list to receive ALC meeting notices and other HIV/AIDS related emails, send a request to Esther Lok, ph. (212) 801-1312, FPWA's Senior Policy Analyst for HIV/AIDS.
For more information about the ALC, contact Esther Lok, ph. (212) 801-1312, FPWA's Senior Policy Analyst for HIV/AIDS.
*VISIT the ALC Community Resources & Advocacy Web Page
Did You Know?
*HIV transmission patterns have shifted over time. People of color make up 76% of all people living with AIDS in New York State. Within this population, 76% -- approximately 88,739 people reside in New York City.
*In New York City, of all cases of females living with HIV and AIDS, women of color consistently compose over 90% of the population in both 2005 and 2006, and that women in the age 50 or above category have increased from 26% or 7,170 in 2005 to 28% or 8,055 in 2006.
Where We Stand:
FPWA believes that access to quality, coordinated and comprehensive health care is vital to all individuals living with HIV and/or AIDS (PLWHA or PLWA) and their families. A major goal of the public health systems and public health policies should be to provide and ensure access to the health care needed by people who are living with HIV/AIDS, particularly those who are uninsured, underinsured, homeless, living with physical or mental disabilities and immigrants with limited English proficiency. An equally important goal is to develop and implement effective strategies to reduce HIV prevalence and incidence with an emphasis on targeting women, youth and children in communities of color.
FPWA is a founding member of HIV Prevention Justice Alliance (HIV PJA), which is a national network of over 70 groups building a unified, effective movement for HIV prevention in the United States.
Click here for a list of additional collaborations.